Friday, December 07, 2007

the first snow

So last night as I was having dinner with my SFG at a little restaurant in Lincoln, it began to snow. It was a beautiful moment...almost magical. With my lovely girls, enjoying each other's laughter and presence, and then suddenly it started to snow. After we took some pictures outside in it, I headed home and watched it fall perched in my windowsill. That is one of my favorite things to do. As I sat there, I wrote down some words in my journal that I don't have with me at the moment. But I remembered writing a little poem that I posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005, and thought I would share it again. Here it is:


the first snow

have you seen it?
no, really, have you seen it?

little flakes of white...
fluttering
floating
flying
freezing

oh, the snow
and fireplaces aglow
makes you not want to go
anywhere

like magic dust
for a little while
until it piles up
and we sled
and we slide
and we ski
and we slip
and we build snowmen
but until then

it's just the first snow.
have you seen it?
have you felt it?

the freezing
frozen
flying
falling
fleeing
flakes
are like little pieces of grace

i love the first snow.

No comments: