- opened with Good Love is On the Way
- Waiting on the World to Change
- No Such Thing
- Stop This Train
- Why Georgia
- Clarity (I think?...)
- Bigger Than My Body
- Stitched Up (song he wrote w/ Herbie Hancock)
- Say (encore)
Covers he did:
- "Free Fallin" --which sounded even better than Tom Petty himself...
- "Mercy" by Duffy--great bluesy rendition of this and continued w/ amazing jam session...love the blues.
- "No One" by Alicia Keys--took me a minute to figure out which song it was at first b/c he has the ability to make everything sound like it's his own. So good.
No matter what song JM sings, it sounds incredible live. He never sounds the same twice. It never sounds exactly like the recorded version, but I love when artists do that well. Sometimes it's annoying, but for some reason with him it's not.
And I just have to say that I love the wisdom he has in his lyrics. Continuum is probably one of the best albums of all time, and the lyrics are so solid throughout. The other night as he was playing "Belief" I said to Katie next to me "This should be the song of the church!"
We're never gonna win the world, we're never gonna stop the war. We're never gonna beat this if belief is what we're fighting for.
I know the song is about war, but I had a spiritual moment that night realizing that if all the world thinks "belief" in Christ is enough, they are missing out. If all we're fighting for is simply "belief" we're missing out on so much more...
So in the midst of the concert I had a little moment, but JM's lyrics always make me see something new. I love it. He closed with an encore of the song "Say"...which I cannot get enough of.
And here are some fun pictures from our night:
me and my BFF Amanda!!!
Oh, and P.S. for anyone wondering if Jennifer Aniston was there...I did not see her, but I do know she was there somewhere. I happened to go to H&M on Sunday and had a conversation with the guy at the cash register who happened to eat dinner with them both at The Grill in Indy on Friday night, the 4th of July. His friend managed the restaurant and they came in and decided to all hang out. So yes, she was there...Johniston was in Indy...