Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Twentysomething...

So yesterday I checked a book out from the library called "Twentysomething" by Margaret Feinberg. I must admit, I felt slightly embarrassed about checking out a book about "striving and thriving in the real world as someone in their 'quarterlife crisis'." I began to read it last night and I could NOT put it down! It's really good, though I feel like much of it is common sense that I am thankful to have already known. My life is certainly not in shambles like it could be at my age--I don't have a monstrous credit card debt, I already know how to bargain-shop, I never expected to make millions in my life (did you know that in a 2001 survey, 52% of college graduates stated they expect to be millionaires by the age of 40? call me a skeptic, but dream on!), and much of the other practical wisdom in the book has already come to my knowledge just by living on my own. However, there's something about this book that's grappling, and I can't put my finger on what it is... I like it a lot, but I don't know whether if you read it I'd guarantee the same for you.

Enough about my readings...how about my TV lineup? Out of my expansive range of two channels, I have a Monday & Tuesday night lineup on FOX and NBC. Yes, I have subjected myself to the ridiculous summer drama & reality TV programming. Here goes:
*Monday*
7:00 North Shore on FOX
8:00 For Love or Money 2 on NBC
9:00 Who Wants to Marry Our Dad? on NBC
10:00 Friends rerun on FOX

*Tuesday*
7:00 rerun of previous week's Last Comic Standing
8:00 new Last Comic Standing (i love this show!)
9:00 Law & Order: SVU

So there you go...now you know how I spend my mondays & tuesdays in lincoln, IL. sadly, i look forward to having something so ridiculous to keep me busy! In the midst of watching, I have to give props to some advertising agencies who are finally thinking out of the box--great job!

Ad Agency for Meijer--way to use the reverse psychology on us! (commercial w/ the little girl tasting a brand of spinach and then says "yuck" and then she tastes the Meijer brand spinach and says "yuck"--their idea is that you're getting the same quality you get from any other brand...for less)

Ad Agency for Sprint --What better way to teach us about your cell phone minutes/plans than by pretending to manipulate children by limiting their macaroni minutes or by giving the special brand new art set only to the new student b/c she's more special than anyone else?

Ad Agency for T-Mobile--nice try for trying to be just like Sprint w/ your commercial w/ the guy jumping after his cell phone into the gorilla pit at the zoo b/c he's afraid the gorilla will make a roaming call on his phone. keep trying, maybe you'll catch up to the other cell-phone company bigwigs.

Ad Agency for Olive Garden & Red Lobster -- you're doing great at making me want your food every time I see your commercials. keep it up, you're going to make me broke and fat someday!

That's all for now...i'm sure you're overwhelmed w/ this long boring mass of blog. hope you have a wonderful day! leave me a comment...it gives me something to do!

6 comments:

Lucas said...

I'm just curious how you settled on Law & Order: SVU. Is it just the time slot? Cause there is a varitable smorgousboard of Law & Orders. I think we are up to five.

Mandy said...

Well, I honestly haven't seen any other Law & Orders other than SVU. It just happened to be on after Last Comic Standing and I suddenly became hooked! Now I'm an avid watcher. good show though, i'm impressed. someday i'll branch out and experience the various types of laws & orders. for now, the special victims unit is quite interesting.

Dustin said...

I enjoy Last Comic Standing as well. I had a friend of mine on the show. She just missed the last cut to make it into the house this season. Her name is Jessica Kirson. Pretty disappointing that she didn't make it. Darn.

The Young Circus said...

Mandy! I love Law and Order, too! I had never watched it until I was married and Justin likes it so I got hooked, too! My problem is I never know which one I am watching, SVU or whatever. But they are good. Isn't it funny to see Zack Morris on there?! I can't imagine him as anyone but the "hunky Zack" I always knew him as! Hope you're doing well!

The Young Circus said...

Mandy, I just posted a comment about this and it won't come up! I'm so sad! Anyway, the main jist was that I love Law and Order, too and I had never watched it until I was married because Justin loves it! Now I do, too! And I think Zack Morris is funny on there! Hope you're doing well! --Katie

Mandy said...

KT, looks like I got both messages! HAha. Yeah I don't watch the show w/ Zack Morris on there. I don't know who any of the people are on SVU, but I like them! Sometimes I think secretly I'd like to do what they do...