Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Shaping the Heart of a Leader--I'm finding pieces of truth in reflection that fit together like a puzzle...I'm still somewhere on the outside pieces I think.

Today's theme in class: Commonplace.

Basic idea: Nothing is ordinary. Everything is sacred. Simple as that. There is no secular vs. sacred.


Last night: Had to teach myself to suck it up in the battle of selfishness vs. selflessness.

Also last night: Saw David Crowder, Shawn McDonald, and Mutemath in Lisle...yet another example of the beauty and power of music. It is so beautiful. It meets me where I am and fills the empty space between me and heaven... note: emphasis on the MUSIC not on the PEOPLE.


Annoying: Emphasis on the PEOPLE and not the MUSIC. I had to fight the urge to strangle those concertgoers screaming "ohmigosh this is my favorite song!" or waving their cell phones in the air to capture the moment. At one time I was in their shoes, wanting to savor those moments as mountaintop experiences and live in constant concerts of worship, but that's not reality. Reality is worship there and in the valleys and everywhere in between. We don't need a David Crowder or a Chris Tomlin or a Matt Redman or a Shane & Shane (as much as I'd love to sing w/ them every night of my life) in order to worship. They're just ordinary people being faithful to their call. And that brings me to my next soapbox...autographs. I could go on for days...honestly does any good come from having a person's signature? If anyone has input on that I'd love to hear it, b/c I don't see much good in an autograph. Especially w/ musicians...the music itself is the signature.

Signature of Matt Wertz:
Here are words to his song "Yesterday Morning" that I found to be a signature on my heart last night while driving.

Yesterday morning every part of her just shut down
Getting out of bed never felt so difficult before
Every step she took led to the wrong direction
And she never made it out her door
Yesterday morning Jamie yielded to all she hates
But if she despises it so much why did she give in
Seems like this battle just can’t be won
And she’s stuck there alone again.
She said I’m so tired of this stumble that I’ve been calling a walk
And so I’m sick of this mumble that I’ve described as a talk
And now I guess its time I lose myself
To the one who has found me here
Yesterday morning every part of her just shut down
All that she knew or thought she knew flew out that door
Things she loves so easily forgotten
Now Jamie can’t love no more
She said I’m so tired of this stumble that I’ve been calling a walk
And so I’m sick of this mumble that I’ve described as a talk
And now I guess its time I lose myself
To the one who has found me here

No comments: