Thursday, May 18, 2006

this is my work break...

So this is going to be my 15 minute afternoon break that we're supposed to get every day... I need a break from working on new displays for camp teams to take and from calling references.

I'm currently listening to someone's old school Audio Adrenaline on iTunes. It's Don't Censor Me from way back in the day. I really wish I had the older stuff, however, like with PDA and Who Do You Love and those oldies but goodies. They remind me of when Cory would come home from CIY with her tapes and I'd listen to them at night on my Walkman. I was cool.

Last week, Cory and I had a fun time torturing each other by emailing old cheesy Christian lyrics back and forth to each other. (It all started with her having a Point of Grace song in her head--the one that had a video where they were singing in an empty cafe.) It was fun. So in honor of that, here are the old school songs, CDs, and such that will always remain cheesy but continue to hold some kind of memory or tradition:

-anything Point of Grace, such as...The Great Divide, Circle of Friends, Life, Love, & Other Mysteries, Gather at the River, or Keep the Candle Burning

-speaking of candles, you've gotta have Kathy Troccoli and Go Light Your World on this list. That will forever be the graduation service song that was either played or sung when Rondel planned our graduation services from high school.

-dcTalk's Free At Last CD or Nu Thang. Seriously. I love those. I think I might have to break out some of those soon. I'm pretty sure the song I Luv Rap Music from their first record will be remembered for awhile by most guys who lived on F1 or F2 in Titus at LCC. I suppose now is an okay time to come clean with us leaving that on their answering machines...they'll never know.

-don't even know who sings it, but from an old, OLD CIY cassette tape, the song Housin'. (not to be confused with the Audio Adrenaline song Big Big House). "Come and go with me, to my father's house...we can live together. Come and go with me to my Father's house; we can live forever! ... to the rap part (which of course I still know the words to): You like what you like and I like what I like, forget about what we like it's all about what He likes, see He likes to be the one in full control of your heart of your mind, of your body and your soul. And I'm down with that, cuz he's the one that made me. The power over evil is the power that he gave me but not only that, He gave me the mind to catch the beat that moves your feet and moves your body to the rhyme..." Need I say more?

-Another one that reminds me of Cory, Shelly, and Linnea is "...in the Eye of the Hurricane...in the center of the storm...in the chaos there's a comfort, a harbor safe and warm..."

-I have to bring up the group Church of Rhythm, who I believe encountered a bit of identity crisis after my obsession with them in Jr. High during which I had them sign the inside cover of my Bible. When I saw them at the Clinton Jr. High Overnighter I was all about the Free At Last poppy song of theirs and any other song of theirs. Amanda, I'm sure you'll remember those days... Then a year later at CIY they were suddenly hardcore alternative. Weird.

-Must I even bring up old Amy Grant music? Baby, baby, that was alllll classic. Don't even get my heart in motion...
-Hm...I believe Jars of Clay was an obsession of mine during a phase of my high school years after seeing them at ICTC and meeting them afterwards. I was such a dork.

Well I'm sure there are more, but it's so fun to think of those old school songs I used to jam to on my Walkman and on church youth group trips. Remind me if I'm forgetting some faves...

2 comments:

Mandybear said...

I LOVE THIS POST!

All of these old songs remind me of you...old COR, POG, DC talk, etc. Remember the DC Talk/Audio Adrenaline concert where I had an awful headache? Or when Jars of Clay were huge jerks to us? Or when COR signed our Bibles?

GOOD TIMES!

Mandy said...

:) I love this old music and even more, I love the memories that go w/ it like your headache at the concert, COR signing our BIbles, etc. However, I don't remember Jars of Clay being jerks to us...were they at ICTC? I thought they were nice! I can't remember now!