Sunday, September 03, 2006

seasons and transformation

So with the changing of seasons and all, it just seemed to be fitting that this morning's sermon was about transformation. And the "special music" was this song, which is one of my favorites...

Every evening sky an invitation
to chase the patterned stars
And early in July, a celebration
For freedom that is ours

And I notice you in children's games
And those who watch them from the shade
Every drop of sun is full of fun and wonder
You are summer.

And even when the trees have just surrendered
to the harvest time
Forfeiting their leaves in late-September
And sending us inside

Still I notice you when change begins
And I am braced for colder winds
I will offer thanks for what has been and what's to come.
You are autumn.

And everything in time and under heaven
Finally falls asleep
Wrapped in blankets white,
all creation shivers underneath

And still I notice you when branches crack
And in my breath on frosted glass
And even now in death you open doors for life to enter.
You are winter.

And everything that's new has bravely surfaced
Teaching us to breathe
and what was frozen through is newly purposed
Turning all things green

So it is with you and how you make me new
With every season's change.
And so it will be as you are recreating me
Summer, autumn, winter, spring.

--Every Season, Nichole Nordeman

She couldn't have chosen better words or a more descriptive way to describe transformation, in my opinion. The changing of seasons isn't something I generally like, unless it's the part where it's becoming spring or summer. I'm not a big fan of cold weather, and not surprisingly cold seems to represent a season of frozen souls and the inability to breathe. It's so long. Other than the joy of Christmas and a few peaceful, fresh snowfalls, there seems to be no good found in it. But as much as I hate it, I realize it's necessary to bring about the re-creation that begins again in spring. And so it is with transformation. I'm realizing that those times that are cold, dark, lonely, depressing, and frozen are all a part of the process. They're inevitable.

But the winter isn't constant. That's the good news. (unless you live in Antarctica...) A new season always follows, and it's a season of newness in everything.

So as I try my hardest to say goodbye to summer, I will also try to embrace the fall as it breezily whisks away the heat. Though I'll hold on long and dear to my flip-flops, I'll slowly accept the newness of fall that awaits. With the changing of temperatures and colors of the leaves, there are other beautiful things to come. It's a part of life. Every season is critical in transformation.

No comments: