Thursday, April 12, 2007

a walk around the world...Part 1

I don't even know where to begin writing about my trip to Romania. I recall writing 2 weeks ago that I had no idea what I was stepping into in going on this trip. It's clear to me now that God had some things in me He wanted to change and some things in the world He wanted me to see. Our 8 days there didn't seem quite long enough, and I'm here wishing I was still there. After traveling 6000 miles and over 15 hours of transportation, my feet have walked on different soil. The ground there was pretty hard and rocky, and now that I think of it, that's how my heart felt before I left. I'm glad I walked on different soil for a few days...
Enjoy some of my photos and journal entries from the trip that will hopefully give you a picture of what I experienced in another part of the world...

4/2/07-“It’s already starting to sink in…all that we’ve experienced thus far in Romania (which really isn’t all that much). I realized tonight while playing baseball with Florine & Feri that these kids are bringing out a joy in me that’s just been missing for awhile. It’s like I had forgotten how to laugh and play, and I’m rediscovering joy in such simple things like basketball (and my lack of skill therein), baseball, taking a picture, getting a kiss on the cheek from a little boy, or pushing a little girl on a swing.
These children simply want my attention and love, and deep down I think I really just want theirs! My selfish heart came here empty, but day by day it’s filling up more as I give and receive love and experience the true joy & community they live in. We make such great efforts to have a strong sense of community in the American church, and it never seems to fit for me. Here, community happens because it MUST in order to survive. The kids who live at Caminul Felix were abandoned, some malnourished, mistreated…now they’re in homes with parents who love them unconditionally. That’s something they could never dream of in the public Romanian society or from their own biological parents. These kids have already withstood more trial than I have in life, and it’s only going to make them stronger. I pray that the ministry of Caminul Felix and the people around them will help to grow them into world changers.”

4/5/07--"“…We just got back from the gypsy village, and a little girl stole my heart. Her beautiful smile and adorable face made my heart melt. Though her clothes were dirty and worn, she had the most charming little smile that only made me smile inside. We couldn’t communicate at all, so I asked a translator to ask her name for me. It was Sarah. I pointed to myself and told her my name, and with a tiny little voice she pronounced 'man-dy'. I held her the entire time we were there and we just made each other giggle. I would push her bangs back out of her eyes and tuck them behind her ear, and then she would do the same to me. Never before have I learned to love a little girl so quickly and without using words.



















It was amazing to see all of the children run down the street at the gypsy village just to see us. As soon as we arrived, our vans were swarmed with kids who just wanted to play with us and have their pictures taken on an digital camera so they could see themselves making silly faces! It was so incredible…



These kids are so beautiful and they seem to find joy in such simple things...It's a shame I have to travel around the world just to learn a lesson like that, but I'm thankful that I did.
Stay tuned for more...there's so much to say and so many pictures to show off! I can't wait to share more w/ you!

1 comment:

Mills Family said...

I've been checking...waiting for the pics. Oh, you look so happy. I know this was a great trip for you to be on. What a blessing to get to spread a little love...and it sounds like get a lot.