Since I just got out of the car and came in my office to drop off my college fair things, I thought I'd also let you know something about me. Often I get asked what I do while I'm driving to and fro in the midst of college fair season and other road trips. While my dear friend Becka strongly encourages me to listen to NPR, I continue to choose music. It is, after all, one of my most favorite things. And in case you didn't know, I'm quite the singer when I'm in the car by myself. And you wouldn't know that unless you happened to place a hidden camera in my vehicle, because it's just not the same when people are in the car. I jam, folks. And while I'm quite the karaoke superstar in the car, I've yet to get up on a stage somewhere in public and do it.
And just for fun, here are some of my recent faves to jam to in the car:
- that new song, Paralyzed, by Finger Eleven. There's just something about it that seems brilliant to me...I'm not sure what. It's not the lyrics, though, b/c I still can't figure out what it really means.
- Miranda Lambert's songs Kerosene and Famous in a Small Town--that girl can sing her heart out.
- anything by the Steve Miller Band or The Doobie Brothers...they take me back to the old days of listening to them on actual records...on a record player...with a needle...and they remind me of my dad.
- Foreigner's Love Isn't Always On Time. (quite possibly the story of my life? j/k...) seriously...just recently I keep finding this on the radio and rocking out to it. but i keep turning the electric guitar parts into drums in the air and on my steering wheel instead.
- Elton John...Tiny Dancer. Except you have to sing it the way Phoebe does on Friends..."Hold me closer, Tony Daaanzaaaa...." I heard it 3 times today in the car, and it never gets old.
- Billy Joel...Piano Man. It's just classic. Reminds me of last call at a bar, or a swaying circle of friends at a wedding reception, and it makes me want to raise a glass and say "cheers" :)
- sadly, I'll admit that I actually jammed to My Humps by the Blackeyed Peas tonight.
- Dierks Bentley's song Free and Easy Down the Road I Go...just makes me slap my leg and singalong every time.
So these are just the ones I remember singing to today...what are your favorite jams in the car?