Thursday, June 24, 2004

Breakthroughs...

So last night I came home from work w/ a stomachache and decided I didn't really feel like going to the women's Bible study that I attended the week before. I just wanted to be lazy and not go, and I kept telling myself "Mandy, you know that if you go you're gonna end up completely glad you went!" And so I went. Know what happened? You guessed it! I was blessed beyond belief! I was learning things right and left and listening to women talk about their marriages, their kids, their struggles and doubts and sufferings, their past experiences when they were my age, and how they've grown through it all. It's amazing what honesty they shared about how it's just so hard some days to be a mother and a wife. One person mentioned this: As a parent, sometimes you're the only image of God that your children see. How you treat them and love them is the only reflection they see of how God loves them! WOW--what a huge responsibility! Parenting is such a ministry! So high-five to all you mothers and fathers out there--I hope I'll be a great image and reflection of God someday to my own kids!

In this Bible study it ends up being just a big discussion about daily life and other things. We also got on the subject of doubt and suffering and how some Christians deal with it. If you're ever struggling w/ something and someone throws one of those stupid Christian cliches on you like "God is with you" or "Smile, Jesus loves you" or "Things look up when you look to God" or "It's OK, God has a plan"--ugh!! How does that make you feel? Those are annoying, frustrating, and just plain hindering to one's growth during a time of struggle or doubt or suffering. Growth only happens through those times of struggle! The best thing for someone to do is to get into that boat WITH you, just listen, cry with you, and just BE there. You have to meet people where they're at, and that's how they grow. Why else did God send Jesus to earth as a human? He didn't just look down on us and say "I'm here for you" or "I love you" but instead he showed it with Jesus' life and death. He came here, walked the earth, loved people, and died for us to meet us where we are! If Jesus had never come to earth, God would seem like some far-off, distant being to us!

Anyways sorry about the soapbox, but that was my breakthrough last night. It's so amazing to understand the greatness of God and why on earth he sent Jesus. So, Christians, forget your silly little cliche lines and just love people. Forget the little phrases and goofy bumper stickers and live it out! That's my goal...

Have a great weekend!

No comments: