Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Turn the page...

I'm really getting into looking for good books--i've just gotta start reading them! I just bought two books today from the bookstore (i love having a staff gift card to put them on!) Anyways, I bought "Adventures in Missing the Point: How the Culture-Controlled Church Neutered the Gospel" by Brian McLaren and Tony Campolo as well as "Faith, God, and Rock & Roll: How People of Faith Are Transforming American Popular Music" by Mark Joseph. I hope they're good!

I've been reading a book called "A Childlike Heart" by Alan D. Wright, and I got it on clearance really cheap like two yrs ago. I'm really loving it so far, and I'm quite surprised at how good it is! Here is an excerpt from the chapter on Childlike Failure:
Failing is what little children do best. Little children fail a lot but seldom feel like failures. Adults, who fail far less, tend to feel like failures. How many times would you be willing to spit up on yourself in public before giving up on warm milk? How many times would you be willing to strain the muscles in your entire body just for the chance of rolling over? How many times would you be willing to fall on your bottom in front of cheering onlookers just for the chance to walk? How many times would you let the asphale skin your knee just for the chance to conquer a bike without training wheels? Most of the time, a child's failure is public. Conversely, one good public failure is enough to send many adults into seclusion... Little children never focus on their failures; they focus on their goals. Adults, on the other hand, become so consumed with their failures that they forget their goals.


The writer then refers back to Peter's faith/lack of faith in walking on the water in Matthew 14. Though it's a simple train of thought, it's quite profound I think. And quite a good reminder for us as well.

Other than that, I have spent some time helping josh design new LCC t-shirts. Josh also tightened the battery in my car for me today b/c last night i had yet another scare w/ my lovely little Grand Am GT in the Dollar Tree parking lot. I was about in tears when after pulling halfway out of my parking space my poor little pontiac stopped and refused to even shift into neutral or start. SO thankfully this lady, a wife of a mechanic, came and helped me...she messed w/ a few things, kept moving my steering wheel up and down, and eventually got it started several times and said that my battery just needed to be tightened. Also I might have a short in my steering wheel. Out of fear, I am still driving w/ my steering wheel all the way up so now i look like an old lady.

I'm also concerned about this bump on my leg...looks like a mix between a bruise and a bug-bite. what is it? i haven't a clue...though i did kill a scary looking bug in my apt. the other day...could it be? i doubt it. well this is a long bunch of blog, so i'll free you from the ramblings. oh--surprise! brad paisley is at the sangamon county fair in 2 days--i want to go! yay! keep it country ya'll.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, just clicking random links, wound up here.

Missing the Point is a good book, I haven't finished it yet, but very good. If you haven't read "A New Kind Of Christian" and "The Story We Find Ourselves In" by McLauren I highly recommend them.

Cool blog . . . maybe I'll wander by again.