Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Did I catch an oh-niner in there?

It's funny how a New Year comes upon us. Literally one minute--no, one second-- it's 2008 and then suddenly, it's 2009! It creeps up on you, without harm and without any room or time for slowing down and somehow along the way giving us reason to celebrate.

I enjoyed the company of 2 friends of mine at a nice little piano bar on New Year's Eve as we toasted the end of 2008, which wasn't so much our favorite year, and celebrated a fresh start. I'm always up for change and new beginnings. At least if things aren't going as planned, I like a chance to start over. Even if life is going just smoothly, I'll always welcome a chance to begin again. It kind of reminds me of grace.

2008 wasn't bad for any particular reasons, but every year (at New Year's and on my birthdays...) I claim that "this is going to be my year!" 2008 wasn't really "my year" if I'm looking back on it. It was alright, but I wish it would have been better. I'm hoping 2009 will be the year...for what? Again, I don't know. For newness, for change, for good things. I'll always welcome that, and I'll do what I can to make it happen. I want to live boldly this year and choose the Kingdom over myself, even though my tendency is to choose me.

I'm always excited to see what the future holds...and though I wish I had a crystal ball to see into it, I'm a little perplexed by the mystery that is the unknown.

But here's what I do know about this year:

~I get to spend time with Faith & Becka for our post-New-Year's-celebration (for the last 3 years we've spent New Year's Eve together...originating in Times Square in 2006...but postponed this year) to go to the Caribbean!!! Though it's only about 2 weeks away, we're still not locked into where we're going, but it will either be Cancun, the Dominican, or a cruise to Cozumel/Costa Maya...thanks to Faith's final few weeks working for JetBlue and her buddy passes she's so willing to share!

~I have the honor of witnessing the beginning of marriages for several of my friends in the upcoming year...

~I will be taking my third group of LCC students to Romania to work with Rachel Ross & Forget Me Not Ministries...and I'm so excited to see those sweet kiddos again.

~My family will be going to Florida together for probably the first family vacation in, like, a long time...definitely since Cory & David have been married and Maddy & Evan were born.
~I'm hoping to start embracing my creative side a little more. I've been inspired lately and love how artistic, creative activities make me energized. I'm realizing more and more this is from God and not just an outlet for me, so I'd like to use it for bigger purposes. Maybe taking classes, maybe just painting some canvases for people, maybe learning some graphic design, who knows?

~I'm definitely going to read more. I've slacked off (big time!) this past year, and I hope to read and finish at least 15 books this year. That's maybe lofty, but it's a goal I'm setting.

~I will learn to be where I'm at completely. I'm always looking forward to the next thing, but I'm learning to be right here, right now.

~I am going to learn to save my money, which I'm completely terrible at doing. I'm not sure how this is going to happen...especially with an upcoming cruise, family vaca to Florida, overhanging credit card bill, student loans, car payments, my hope to buy a Mac sometime soon, my need to pay my mom back for my furniture, etc... I WILL save money. Maybe I need to find a second job or something.

~I will be 27 this year. Wow. At least I've got like 8 months till then.

What's happening for you in 2009?

No comments: